CO3A1 STRATEGIC MATERIALS MANAGEMENT
MODULE I (15 hours)
Unit 1 Strategic Management -Overview of Business Policy – Strategic Analysis – Hierarchy of Strategic Intent – Strategy Formulation – Strategy Implementation – Strategy Evaluation and Control - .
Unit 2 Corporate Social Responsibility - Meaning and Importance of CSR – Evolution of CSR – Arguments for and against CSR – Model of CSR – Limits of CSR – CSR and Indian corporate sector
Unit 3 Business Ethics - Nature of Ethics – Sources of Business Ethics – Importance of Ethics – Managing Ethics – Corporate Culture and Ethical Climate – Improving Ethical Decision-Making – CSR and Ethics in International Business.
MODULE II (15 hours)
Unit 1 Fundamentals of Purchasing - Role and Importance of Purchasing – Evolution and Development of Purchasing – Purchasing as a Boundary-Spanning Function – Purchasing’s Position within the Organisational Structure.
Unit 2 Purchase Procedure - Pre-Purchase, Purchase, and Post-Purchase stages – The Purchasing Process – Role of Negotiation in Purchasing – Supplier Development and Strategic Sourcing– Strategic Supply Management.
Unit 3 Special Areas in Materials Management - Just-in-Time Manufacturing – Purchasing Research – Value Analysis – Importance of IT in Materials Management – Import Purchasing – Performance Measurement and Evaluation – Importance of Quality – TQM.
MODULE III ( 15 hours)
Unit 1 Inventory Management for Purchases - Types of Inventory – Costs of Inventory – Inventory Investment – Function of Inventory within a Firm – Factors leading to inventory Waste – Approaches for controlling Inventory Investment.
Unit 2 Fundamentals of Stores Keeping - Inventory Fundamentals – Importance of Stock Levels and Order Quantities – Selective Inventory Control Techniques – Physical Inventory and Warehouse Management – Physical Distribution and Control.
Unit 3 Accounting Aspects of Inventory - Finalising the purchase price of materials – Preparation of Stores Ledger (FIFO, LIFO, Simple Average, Weighted Average) – Identification of Different Stock Levels and Economic Ordering Quantity – Selective Inventory Control Techniques (ABC, FSN, VED).
1. Monczka, Robert, Trent, Robert, & Handfield, Robert, Purchasing and Supply Chain Management, (2/e), Thomson South-Western
2. David N. Burt, Donald W. Dobler, & Stephen L. Starling, World Class Supply Management – The Key to Supply Chain Management, (7/e), Tata McGraw Hill
3. Azhar Kazmi, Business Policy and Strategic Management (2/e), Tata McGraw Hill.
4. Thompson, Arthur. C & Strickland, A. J, Strategic Management (13/e), Tata McGraw Hill.
5. Arnold, J. R. Tony & Chapman, Stephen. N, Introduction to Materials Management, (4/e), Pearson Education Asia.
6. Samuel C. Certo & J. Paul Peter, Strategic Management, McGraw Hill, USA.
1. Journal of Supply Chain Management [Blackwell Synergy]
2. Negotiation Journal [Blackwell Synergy]
3. Business Strategy Review [Blackwell Synergy]
4. Corporate Governance: An International Review [Blackwell Synergy]
5. Business Ethics: An European Review [Blackwell Synergy]
6. Journal of Economics and Management Strategy [Blackwell Synergy]
7. Journal of Small Business Management [Blackwell Synergy]